The Brion cemetery and tomb
The complex in San Vito di Altivole was designed by the architect Carlo Scarpa, who was appointed by Onorina Brion Tomasin to commemorate the sudden death of her beloved spouse Giuseppe Brion.Brion, an industrialist, was born in a little village near Treviso and was well known for his Brionvega brand of “Made in Italy” radios and televisions which were a beacon of design in the 1960s and ‘70s.
Don’t miss a visit to Montebelluna, where you can do some shopping and try out the local sweet speciality called Angelica, a very crumbly and fragrant hazelnut biscuit.
#biscuits #traditionalfood #speciality
The British Cemetery at Giavera del Montello
Continue our tour with a visit to the British Cemetery at Giavera del Montello, where 417 Commonwealth soldiers who died during World War One are buried. In 1918, right here in Giavera, an area held by the British, there was a violent offensive by the Austrian troops which caused a huge loss of life.
The Abbey of Sant’Eustachio
A little further on is Nervesa della Battaglia and the Abbey of Sant’Eustachio. It is a former Benedictine monastery which was dissolved in the 1500s. The ruins stand on the slopes of Montello, in the village of Nervesa della Battaglia. The peaceful, charming setting in the forest have made Montello and the monastery a place of meditation and inspiration for religious people and scholars. The abbey is now an important multi-purpose centre which hosts conferences focussed on the region’s history and culture. Admission free.
Opening hours: Saturdays and Sundays 10:00-13:00, 15:00-20:00.
Pedestrian access from Via Collalto 1; by car for persons of reduced mobility or with other parking needs (limited spaces).
Nervesa della Battaglia military memorial
Close to the abbey is the Sacrario del Montello, a memorial to the fallen of World War One. The military memorial in Nervesa della Battaglia is one of several which remembers the fallen of the Great War erected during Italy’s fascist era. As with other similar memorials, it is notable for its huge size and rational architecture. The monument is a 25-metre high tower built on a concrete base and visible from far and wide. The entrance is at the top of the large staircase which features several pieces of artillery dating back to the Great War. Just inside the entrance, there are two rooms which are the memorial chapel. The communal graves, made from marble, are embellished with a few lines of poetry by Gabriele d’Annunzio and the writer Carlo Moretti di Conegliano. Close by there is also an altar made from black marble. A wide staircase leads to the third floor where display cabinets house a number of objects which were found during the digging of the foundations. Indeed, more than 250 unexploded grenades were found along with a trench full of boxes, cartridges, gas marks and other items of military equipment. The top floor provides access to the balcony with views of the surrounding countryside. Most notable is the river Piave which, in 1918, was transformed into an enormous battlefield. #routesofthegreatwar
INFO: Via Ossario I-31040 Nervesa della Battaglia (TV)
From Tuesday to Saturday: 9 a.m - 5 p.m.
Tel. +39 0422 8863 firstname.lastname@example.org